A date away from better immunity!
Since my discharge from hospital last month, I’ve been lucky enough to have Chinese relatives that will go to the ends of the earth for me.
What they have kindly done, is introduce me to even more of the finest Hong Kong has to offer, in terms of superfoods and natural well-being.
One of the main things I have been consuming are Red dates. The Chinese call them the ‘King of Nuts’ and are typically used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
And I’m not surprised, as they’re thought to have 80 x higher levels of Vitamin C than, say apples! They are also great for people suffering or recovering from health conditions and boosting immunity.
This site does a great job of explaining the benefits, even for improving fertility and for new mommies!
How do you consume them?
Because of the yin-yang philosophy, you can never consume too much of them, so I tend to drink about 2-3 cups per day to keep myself in check and reap these amazing benefits! But there is a specific way you should have them and they are complimented very nicely by Longan fruit and goji berries.
- Always wash all ingredients in cold water for about 10 seconds
- If for one person or yourself only, take 3-5 red dates, gently smash them with a meat tenderizer or similar object
- Remove the seeds from inside the red dates
- Place the red dates, along with a handful of washed goji berried and longan fruit into a small casserole type dish or cast iron dish
- Pour hot boiled water into the dish (enough to drink approx 3-4 cups through the day or more to share)
- Simmer over low heat for about 15 mins in the morning. You can simmer for longer if you have time, but I suggest no longer than 25 mins.
- And voila, serve and enjoy this lovely, naturally sweet herbal tea.
You can also view the benefits of Longan fruit here , which is similar to the red dates, so it’s combination is just magical.
As for where to buy the ingredients, most Chinese stores and emporiums will sell them. You can always ask the shop staff and they will happily help you out.
I’ve incorporated this as part of my daily routine in the morning, so it’s the first thing I do to help replenish and rehydrate my body after sleeping. So whilst its simmering away, I’ll go away, brush my teeth, start my make-up etc. It really helps me get into my day, knowing that I’m going to start my day off with positive intentions and with the King of Nuts!
There is nothing better you can do for yourself than really take care of your body and nourish it well.